Addiction and Desire
Addiction and spiritual longing share the desire to discover something that will relieve us of the burden of small self.
LISTEN TO ALL EPISODES HERE.
FIRST WORDS FROM THE PODCAST
The first thing I want to do is talk about some of the elements of addiction and kind of break down some of the different components of what it feels like, what it looks like. And this is also not just from being in, you know, a culture and family where I’ve had a lot of contact with addicts, but I’ve got my own things going on. It doesn’t have to be something socially unacceptable. Any of my students will tell you that I’ve quit drinking chai about a hundred thousand times. I can’t seem to stop drinking it!
So here are some of the components of addiction as I see them, have experienced them, and have experienced them in other people: Devotion to that substance, devotion to that state, one-pointedness, and, most importantly, the longing for something, some experience that will relieve you of the burden of self-hood, the burden of that small self, right. All of these things, longing, ritual, one-pointedness, devotion, suffering, and that desire to be relieved of selfhood, to be relieved of boundaries, to be relieved of the burden of being you, those are all components of a spiritual practice. So, from the perspective of my spiritual tradition, addiction is an aspect of spiritual practice, except that it has forgotten its proper object. It expresses all of the, or many of the wisdom virtues and wisdoms that we use and learn on a spiritual path, but the object has been mistaken. There has been a detour to a different object.
New to Podcasting? Here’s how you can listen and subscribe.
Listen on jayakula.org
You can listen to Satsang with Shambhavi right here. Shambhavi’s latest podcast can always be found at jayakula.org/satsang-with-shambhavi.
You can also download the podcast from our website so you can listen to it anytime, even without an internet connection. Just click on the download icon found on each individual podcast episode track player.
Subscribe on your computer, phone, tablet or any podcast app
- iPhone or iPad: Open the native iOS app “Podcasts.” Search for “Satsang with Shambhavi” and tap on the “subscribe” button to have new episodes sent to your phone for free. You can also subscribe on your iphone via any other podcast app.
- Android phone: Subscribe to Satsang with Shambhavi on Google Play Music.
- iTunes: Go to Satsang with Shambhavi on iTunes to listen and/or subscribe.
- We are also available via Soundcloud.
- If you cannot find Satsang with Shambhavi on your favorite podcast app, you may be able to manually enter the RSS feed address: satsangwithshambhavi.org/rss.