Anandamayi Ma on Maya
Shambhavi riffs on Anandamayi Ma’s teachings about impermanence and the nature of Maya.
Satsang with Shambhavi is a weekly podcast about spirituality, love, death, devotion and waking up while living in a messy world.
LISTEN TO ALL EPISODES HERE.
FIRST WORDS FROM THE PODCAST
Some of you may have heard me talk about the concept of Maya. In Advaita Vedanta, and also in Patanjali’s Yoga Sutras, which are very often the philosophical basis for a lot of the ways yoga is taught in this country, Maya is defined as illusion. We know this from the time of Abhinavagupta and before that. The difference between how Kashmir Shaivism interprets Maya and the way Vedanta, Advaita Vedanta, or Patanjali’s Yoga Sutras defines it, is one of the key ways of understanding why the Tantric tradition is so different from mainstream Hinduism in its view.
So, in Kashmir Shaivism and by Abhinavagupta, Maya is defined as a Shakti, a creative power. That Shakti creates by covering certain aspects of reality and thereby creating different patterns. So, in other words, Maya is the shakti of diversity. If we just think of unconditioned Shiva Nature, then we think of something that is alive and aware and intelligent and brilliant – but formless. If we look at our world, of course, we’re experiencing all kinds of crazy forms. So how do you create a form out of the formless? You have to limit the formless in order to create form.
New to Podcasting? Here’s how you can listen and subscribe.
Listen on jayakula.org
You can listen to Satsang with Shambhavi right here. Shambhavi’s latest podcast can always be found at jayakula.org/satsang-with-shambhavi.
You can also download the podcast from our website so you can listen to it anytime, even without an internet connection. Just click on the download icon found on each individual podcast episode track player.
Subscribe on your computer, phone, tablet or any podcast app
- iPhone or iPad: Open the native iOS app “Podcasts.” Search for “Satsang with Shambhavi” and tap on the “subscribe” button to have new episodes sent to your phone for free. You can also subscribe on your iphone via any other podcast app.
- Android phone: Subscribe to Satsang with Shambhavi on Google Play Music.
- iTunes: Go to Satsang with Shambhavi on iTunes to listen and/or subscribe.
- We are also available via Soundcloud.
- If you cannot find Satsang with Shambhavi on your favorite podcast app, you may be able to manually enter the RSS feed address: satsangwithshambhavi.org/rss.