Anandamayi Ma Resource Portal
To live in the world is to be on the way to Self-realization
Who Is Anandamayi Ma?
Anandamayi Ma was a 20th-century avatar: a direct emanation of wisdom, born totally awake. By her own testimony, Ma manifested in response to the prayers of sentient beings for a female incarnation of the divine. While accounts of her extraordinary lila, or enlightened activities, are legion, she lived her life as a householder in unusually close contact with her devotees, advising them about all aspects of life, laughing with them, comforting them, singing and simply allowing all those who came to find refuge in her presence. Her guiding presence is still available to anyone who wishes to seek it out. Although Ma had little formal education, she directly embodied enlightened wisdom to such a degree, she was able to convey the subtlest teachings to tens of thousands of followers from all walks of life. Her teachings are precise, playful, gutsy, down-to-earth, inspiring and deeply moving. Jaya Ma!
- Satsang with Anandamayi Ma
- Ma’s Darshan
- Biographies of Anandamayi Ma
- Life with Anandamayi Ma
- Anandamayi Ma Sings Kirtan
- Anandamayi Ma in the Movies
- Sangha – Find people who love Anandamayi Ma!
Anandamayi Ma gave oral teachings in response to the questions of an enormous number of people from all walks and stations of life. She wrote no books or articles. Her satsangs remain one of the primary ways that we can receive Her teachings today. Atmananda, Ma’s English-language translator, worked closely with Brahmachari Kamal Bhattacharjee, a Pandit who devoted his life to recording Ma’s satsangs in Bengali with meticulous concern for accuracy. Together, they produced the most definitive record of Her words.
- Words Of Sri Anandamayi Ma : Translated by Atmananda. The principal book of Mataji’s discourses in English. Free.
- Mother Reveals Herself : A must-read, newly released book of Ma’s conversations with one of her principle disciples – Chandra Jyotish Roy (Bhaiji). This is Ma at her most intimate talking about her birth, her early years, and giving instruction in practice. Available in English for the first time. One of the very best books of Ma’s teachings now available. To order, write to firstname.lastname@example.org. The cost is $22USD.
- The Essential Sri Anandamayi Ma : Includes a good biography by a devotee, a selection of discourses from Words of Sri Anandamayi Ma (available in full above), and a wealth of photographs. Beautifully produced and good for starters if you keep in mind that all efforts to summarize Ma’s teachings pale in comparison to her own words.
- Matri Vani (Mother’s Words) Volume I : A collection of short excerpts from Anandamayi Ma’s dictated letters to some of Her devotees. Translated by Atmananda. Free.
- Matri Vani Volume II : A second collection of excerpts from letters and conversations. Translated by Atmananda. Free.
- Order Ma books and audio CDs : You may want an alternative to reading Ma’s words online. A wide variety of publications and recordings can be ordered from the Anandamayi Ma Ashram bookstall in Kankhal, India at low cost.
Darshan means to see. By seeing Guru and being seen by Her, we can directly see more of Reality and thereby progress in our spiritual unfoldment. This can happen to some extent even through the medium of a picture of Guru. For this reason, Ma instructed that photographs of herself always remain free of charge. Click on a thumbnail photo to see and download the full image. For hundreds of photos of Anandamayi Ma, visit the Photo Gallery and the Photo Collection at the Anandamayi sangha resource website. A new collection of photos has been put up at the official India sangha website. Return to top
- A Goddess Among Us : A readable and very inexpensive biography by Acharya Mangalananda.
- The Life and Teachings of Sri Ma Anandamayi by Bithika Mukerji : One of the best biographies of Ma by a disciple who grew up in her presence and later became an academic.
- The Life and Teachings of Sri Anandamayima by Alexander Lipski : The full version of the shorter biography offered in The Essential Anandamayi Ma.
- Ananadamayi: Her Life and Wisdom by Richard Lannoy : An excellent biography, wonderful excerpts of Ma’s words translated by Atmananda, and some of the most spectacular photographs ever taken of Ma. This is a great book for those who are new to Ma and also for those who want a book to treasure for life. A text only version is available online, and cheaper copies may be available from India.
- Mother of Bliss by Lisa Lassell Hallstrom : A readable, scholarly biography with a feminist perspective.
- New and Used Books about Anandamayi Ma from ABEBooks : If you want to order books from an online seller, ABE is your best bet. They have the widest selection.
Many of Ma’s devotees have written memoirs of their lives with Her. In addition, Ma encouraged some to keep a spiritual diary. These writings present a fascinating portrait of what it means, on a very personal, day-to-day level, to be a disciple of a great Guru.
- Death Must Die by Atmananda and Ram Alexander : A riveting, blow-by-blow diary of a Western woman disciple’s life with Anandamayi Ma. Very expensive new. Buy it used! Note: You can download a shorter version of this diary published under the title As The Flower Sheds its Fragrance.
- My Days with Sri Ma Anandamayi by Bithika Mukerji : A wonderful book about day-to-day life with Ma by a writer whose entire family were devotees..
- Sri Anandamayi Ma: a 20th Century Mystic : A moving personal reflection about Ma by Umananda, an American disciple. Click to download the article.
- Encountering Bliss: My Journey Through India with Anandamayi by Melita Maschmann : Another classic account of a Western disciple’s encounter with Ma.
- Mother as Revealed to Me by Bhaiji : Anandamayi Ma’s principal disciple writes movingly of his life with his Guru. Free.
Listening to Anandamayi Ma singing kirtan can be a revelation, especially for those who might be wondering just what the name of God is all about.
Anandamayi Ma sings “Ma Durga”
More music resources:
- The Multimedia Page at Anandamayi.org : Kirtan sung by several adept devotees and by Ma herself. The final section contains short video clips of Ma.
- Chant the 108 Names of Anandamayi Ma with Shambhavi Sarasvati and Jaya Kula: Download PDF of 108 Names of Anandamayi Ma and sing along! 108 Names of Anandamayi Ma (PDF).
We are lucky to have many home movies and two documentaries featuring Anandamayi Ma. As is the case with all Realized beings, simply watching Her speak, move and interact is a teaching and a transmission.
- Anandamayi Ma on YouTube
- Longer video clips of Anandamayi Ma
- A newly edited treasure trove of movies of Anandamayi Ma taken in the 1970s-1981.
- Ascetics who knew Ma tell stories about her. Watch the excerpts on Youtube, then order the whole CD by writing to email@example.com.
30 minute documentary video about Anandamayi Ma with some rare video footage of her. Unfortunately, the filmmaker got carried away with some “special” effects, but still worth watching.
- The Official Site of the Sri Sri Anandamayee Ma Sangha in India
- The Resource Site of the Sri Sri Anandamayee Ma Sangha in India
- Ashram Information
- Jaya Kula, Portland, Maine & Oregon
- Ma satsang and kirtan in Northern California with Acharya Mangalananda
- In the Footsteps of Anandamayi Ma – a Facebook page set up by Ma devotees
- Sri Sri Ma Anandamayi – a Facebook page set up by Ma devotees
- Sri Sri Maa Anandamayi Śaranam – a Facebook page set up by Ma devotees
- Children of Ma Anandamayi Foundation
- Children of Ma Anandamayi Foundation Facebook page