What does it mean to bring your relationships onto your spiritual path?
LISTEN TO ALL EPISODES HERE.
FIRST WORDS FROM THE PODCAST
Students who are initiated into this tradition take a vow to keep dharmic company. So, I want to talk about what that means. It’s a question that people have, even when they are not initiated: Who should I hang out with? and, What happens as I’m practicing and I start to change how I look at things and how I experience things, but my old friends aren’t really changing in that way? What is going to happen? So what should I do?
First of all, dharmic company does not mean just people who are on the spiritual path that you’re on. So, there is nothing in this tradition that prescribes or recommends that you only hang out with people in your own spiritual community. That would be, actually, counter to the teachings of the tradition. The tradition says that your spiritual teacher and your community are gateways to having the same feeling for everyone. So you learn about your equality with the teacher, and you learn to open your heart and your mind to everybody in your spiritual community, and then you can be that way with everyone.
There is no sense in which enlightenment, or self-realization, is about you and a handful of your best spiritual pals. I mean, that would be ridiculous. So, the idea is that eventually you’re going to be able to relate skillfully and open-heartedly with everyone you encounter. And in that sense, the spiritual community and the teacher are like training wheels.
New to Podcasting? Here’s how you can listen and subscribe.
Listen on jayakula.org
You can listen to Satsang with Shambhavi right here. Shambhavi’s latest podcast can always be found at jayakula.org/satsang-with-shambhavi.
You can also download the podcast from our website so you can listen to it anytime, even without an internet connection. Just click on the download icon found on each individual podcast episode track player.
Subscribe on your computer, phone, tablet or any podcast app
- iPhone or iPad: Open the native iOS app “Podcasts.” Search for “Satsang with Shambhavi” and tap on the “subscribe” button to have new episodes sent to your phone for free. You can also subscribe on your iphone via any other podcast app.
- Android phone: Subscribe to Satsang with Shambhavi on Google Play Music.
- iTunes: Go to Satsang with Shambhavi on iTunes to listen and/or subscribe.
- We are also available via Soundcloud.
- If you cannot find Satsang with Shambhavi on your favorite podcast app, you may be able to manually enter the RSS feed address: satsangwithshambhavi.org/rss.