Right livelihood is a well-known teaching about ethics and earning a living from the Shakyamuni Buddha. Nowadays, people in the U.S. ask “What should I do?” with a desperation that partly derives from our compulsion to achieve. Shambhavi dives deeply into the specific meanings of right livelihood for our times.
LISTEN TO ALL EPISODES HERE.
FIRST WORDS FROM THE PODCAST
Today I want to talk about right livelihood. Right livelihood is about what should we do. Most of us have to earn money to live. How can we make decisions about what to do? This is a question that I get very often when people want some kind of personal advice. There are lots of different levels from which people ask: “What should I do for a living?” Sometimes they are asking for direction. Other times, unfortunately, they are asking what would be the absolute greatest thing for me to do: the one thing I was brought here and born here to do. That is an approach to the question that leads to suffering for sure. And it’s part of our titan culture. In my book, there is no mandate that we all have to be great at something, or that we all came with our one special gift, and if we don’t find that our life is a failure. These are all pressures that get put on us by our society that is so focused on rising above others in some way or another.
New to Podcasting? Here’s how you can listen and subscribe.
Listen on jayakula.org
You can listen to Satsang with Shambhavi right here. Shambhavi’s latest podcast can always be found at jayakula.org/satsang-with-shambhavi.
You can also download the podcast from our website so you can listen to it anytime, even without an internet connection. Just click on the download icon found on each individual podcast episode track player.
Subscribe on your computer, phone, tablet or any podcast app
- iPhone or iPad: Open the native iOS app “Podcasts.” Search for “Satsang with Shambhavi” and tap on the “subscribe” button to have new episodes sent to your phone for free. You can also subscribe on your iphone via any other podcast app.
- Android phone: Subscribe to Satsang with Shambhavi on Google Play Music.
- iTunes: Go to Satsang with Shambhavi on iTunes to listen and/or subscribe.
- We are also available via Soundcloud.
- If you cannot find Satsang with Shambhavi on your favorite podcast app, you may be able to manually enter the RSS feed address: satsangwithshambhavi.org/rss.