Discover a wealth of readable, reliable guides to understanding Trika Shaivism and other direct realization traditions.
Shambhavi’s Books about direct Realization Tantra
- Pilgrims to Openness: Direct Realization Tantra in Everyday Life
Foundational and practical introduction to the tradition of Trika Shaivism presented through the lens of everyday experiences of eating, sleeping, relating, moving , working, playing, emoting and doing spiritual practice.
- Tantra: the Play of Awakening
Practical advice for spiritual practitioners.
- No Retreat: poems on the way to waking up
Shambhavi’s poems documenting 15 years of solo spiritual retreats and periods of the eruption of intense spiritual feeling.
More Books About Trika Shaivism
- Swami Lakshmanjoo: Self Realization in Kashmir Shaivism
Teachings given by an accomplished contemporary Master.
- Shaiva Devotional Songs of Kashmir
A translation of Utpaladeva’s gorgeous Shivastotravali by Constantina Rhodes Bailly
- Abhinavagupta’s Commentary on the Bhagavad-Gita
The only English-language translation of the Kashmiri version of the Gita.
- The Shiva Sutras
A nondual blast.
- Naked Song
Down-to-earth revelations in poetry by a 14th century wandering yogini.
- Madhu Khanna: Yantra: The Tantric Symbol of Cosmic Unity
Tantrik cosmology explained.
- Ajit Mookerjee: The Tantric Way: Art, Science, Ritual
The introduction to this book is probably the best general intro to the history, View, and basic approaches of Tantra.
- Swami Lakshman Joo : Vijnana Bhairava: The Practice of Centering Awareness
Look for this at abe.com if Amazon is out. Be sure to get this version.
- The Triadic Heart of Siva
The heart of Kashmir Shaivism
About Other Direct Realization Traditions
- Chogyam Trungpa: Cutting Through Spiritual Materialism
If you want to have an authentic spiritual life, you have to read this book (or channel it).
- Heart Drops of Dharmakaya
Shardza Tashi Gyaltsen. Profound and beautiful. For the more advanced practitioner.
- Dzogchen: The Self-Perfected State
Namkhai Norbu’s masterpiece.
- See the True Nature, then Let Go and Relax in That (pdf)
An interview with Khenpo Tsultrim Gyamtso Rinpoche.
Biographies and Autobiographies
- Diana J. Mukpo: Dragon Thunder: My Life with Chögyam Trungpa
An inspiring and profound portrait of life with a Tantrik Mahasiddha.
- Ram Alexander: Death Must Die
A riveting, blow-by-blow diary of a Western woman disciple’s life with Anandamayi Ma. Very expensive new. Buy it used! Note: You can download a shorter, .pdf version of this diary published under the title As The Flower Sheds its Fragrance.
- Quang Van Nguyen and Marjorie Pivar: Fourth Uncle in the Mountain
The autobiography of a Vietnamese Buddhist “barefoot” doctor who eventually travels to the United States as a refugee. If you want to understand the difference between real healing and spiritual attainment versus attachment to siddhis and sorcery, read this book.
- Swami Radha: Radha: Diary of a Woman’s Search
Beautiful story of a close disciple of Swami Sivananda of Rishikesh.
- Dark Night of the Soul: An interview with Irina Tweedie. (pdf)
A talk about this infamous aspect of spiritual life.