Ayurveda for You
Saturday, Sep 3, 2016
1:00 pm - 3:00 pm Eastern
10:00 am - 12:00 pm Pacific
159 State Street, 2nd Floor
Portland, ME, 04101
Ways to Attend
Join Shambhavi Sarasvati for a series of Saturday afternoon, practical teachings about Ayurveda.
What is Ayurveda?
Ayurveda means the science of life. It is recognized by the World Health Organization as an effective system of traditional medicine. Self-care through diet and life-style choices is a huge component of Ayurveda. Ayurveda offers us many simple and natural ways to take care of ourselves to prevent illness and promote health and mental well-being.
What you will learn
- The history and view of Ayurveda
- About the different human constitutions (Vata, Pitta and Kapha) based on the five elements
- Classical Ayurvedic practices for self-care
- Diagnostic techniques for getting into better balance
- How to use kitchen herbs and spices as medicine
Ayurveda for You Schedule 2016
- January 23rd – Five Element Immersion. You must register for this separately. All of Ayurveda is based on an understanding of the five elements, earth, water, fire, air and space. The Five-Element Immersion begins our journey and is a prerequisite for the remaining teachings.
- February 6th: Ayurveda – Natural and Direct. An introduction to the history and basic principles of Ayurveda. Includes an exploration of self-care as the heart of the tradition. Why Ayurvedic Self-Care is a spiritual practice.
- March 5th: Dosha – Vata, Pitta and Kapha and their relationship to Karma
- April 2nd: Balancing Dosha with the Six Tastes
- May 14th: Prana, Tejas and Ojas
- June 4th: Dinacharya – Going deeper. Many Jaya Kula students practice Dinacharya. In this teaching, we will go deeper into the classical teachings on this beautiful practice and discuss how to adjust it for each dosha and changing circumstance
- July 2nd: Self-observation – the foundation of Ayurvedic Self-care: You will learn specific aspects of self-observation of the emotions, dreams, tongue, urine, fingernails, and so on that are crucial for skillfully surfing life’s changing conditions.
- August 6th: Disease, Dis-ease, and Ease: You will learn about the disease process and the movement toward greater ease and “juiciness!”
- September 3rd: Kitchen Medicine: common herbs and spices for self-care: You will learn how to use common Ayurvedic herbs found in your kitchen and in health food stores.
Prerequisites: Five Element Immersion
Ayurveda for You is a Jaya Kula Core Teaching+ Google Calendar+ iCal
Bookings are closed for this event.